Saturday 18th May was originally going to be the clubs Annual Sponsored Walk. It was a day of torrential rain but that wouldn’t have ordinarily stopped the kids, parents and instructors at the club. In the past we’ve faced flooded lakes, hail storms and gale force winds but this was different.
The Dojo HQ got flooded… again! Though this time we actually figured out where the water was getting into the building because it was still raining outside. It was actually coming in through the new waste pipe that has just been installed for the toilets! Carl had to block the pipe with the only thing at hand – his hoodie! We cancelled/postponed the scheduled walk and instead diverted the troops to the HQ to clean up. It took just over an hour to mop everything up & assess the damage then we put people to work on the refurbishment (well, they were there….!).
Because we had so many people on site, we got tons done. More people turned up on the Sunday too so it was a very productive, but totally exhausting weekend with walls removed & rebuild. Tons of MDF/Chipboard walls built and plasterboard added over the top in room 2. Some of the walls were skimmed & painted too. The never ending painting of the ceiling in room 2 continued – this time with 3 people up three different scaffold towers to speed up the job.
The electrician still hasn’t started at all, we’ve had delays from a couple of sparky’s giving us quotes. It’s going to be the biggest single expense of the refurbishment so we need to make sure the specification is what we need and want, at a reasonable and affordable price.
Monday & Tuesday were designated ‘days of rest’ with (apart from cleaning up) no work being done on site. There have been a few meetings with contractors and local partner agencies though so progress is still being made.
Today we were working flat out. We patched up the damaged plasterboard in room 2, added chipboard sheets to make sure the kids don’t end up putting their fists through, then over boarded with fresh plasterboard sheets. We’ve skimmed the joints ready for light sanding tomorrow.
Lynne was carrying on painting the ceiling in room 2 too.
Sue has been busy painting & patching up some of the walls in room 1.
Finally, we have redesigned the changing rooms & toilets (again) and built some of the stud walls for the toilet block whilst the plumber ran the majority of the pipe work. Porcelain stuff should arrive tomorrow.
Tomorrow another kitchen gets removed so we can remove a few more old stud walls & get started on patching up one of the exterior walls.
Still on target for June 1st opening.
We had a bit of an unpleasant surprise this morning thanks to the heavy rain last night. We had a temporary swimming pool in the main training area, it was only a few cm deep but when that is EVERYWHERE you’re talking about a lot of water. (Lynne was taking pics but I haven’t got any as yet). Thankfully it was caused by a blocked drain at the back of the place, rather than the roof leaking (which would have caused a major delay).
This set us back a couple of hours but thankfully nothing has been damaged irreparably.
We’ve started prepping and painting the ceiling in room 2, it’s an awkward job because it’s a 20ft high ceiling & we keep getting tangled in the old wiring (which can’t be removed until the Sparky is on site).
We also collected 3 transit vans full of office equipment (chairs, room dividers, TFT monitors, white boards etc…) today, courtesy of Van Oord. All of this stuff had to be re-routed to be stored in my garage due to the flooding.
We’ve received 60x 2400x1200mm foil backed plasterboard sheets to board out room 2, which we will be starting tomorrow but the new toilets & basins have been delayed, arriving now on Friday instead of today.
The plumber is also starting on site tomorrow after a couple of days delay.
The second Sparky quote came in today (& it’s worse than the first!) so there is still a delay on the re-wire.
As some of our members may already know, we have been crazy busy behind the scenes lately. We’ve been working none stop on refurbishing a building to become the full time headquarters for the Karate club. This has been part of the club’s focus since it was started ten years ago and we’re finally making it a reality.
We got the keys on 1st May and we’ve already ripped out loads of stud walls, half the old plumbing, decorated tons and started the groundworks for the new changing rooms & toilets. Plumbers and Electricians are on standby to get stuck in re-wiring and plumbing the place in.
We’re ‘hoping’ to be open for business on 1st June, which, although very ambitious, is definitely achievable if everything goes to plan.
Here are some of the photo’s from the build…
For those that haven’t had a look around yet, just let us know when you’re free and we’ll give you the tour…